Friday, July 9, 2010

Mulan Costume




I used McCalls pattern M4953(size 7-8) I bought all the polyester fabric on a 60% off sale, the cotton lining I pulled out of the closet. I sandwiched the skirt in the belt. I added some elastic to the belt cause my niece is super skinny.
Just below the waist, about where the pattern says you can shorten it I cut it and added the change in skirting. I lined the sleeves with the same satin to make sure they had some weight but not too much. I wanted the kimono to be long, and drag on the floor a bit like the cartoon. I intended the red and white on the neck line to be in reverse like the movie, but I actually like this best, it shows up less at the bottom and in Japan the part at the neck would be red. Do what you like.
It took me about 5 hours. With borrowed material and fabric on sale it was a great gift under $20.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to make another one. Better even, we always learn how to do it better the second time around. Email me your measurements and I'll commission you on etsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to buy one, UK Size: 6
      How can I order?

      Delete
    2. Please Email me with any questions about time and scheduling for an order. I'd be happy to work with you.

      Delete