Monday, January 17, 2011

Fuzzy Tree Dolls



Fabric inspires me, especially left overs.
SO I saw these dolls online or better yet I saw this one and I looked for a way to make them. Rather than printing it (cause I hate patterns) I copied the sock monkey pattern and faked it. I like the method for the legs and arms from the sock monkey, just sitch down the center then make 2 "u" shapes on either side for legs and arms.
Stripes work great for legs, I tried paisley and it was alright. So this was this years Christmas gifts. I used all existing scrap fabric that didn't have a purpose, so basically "free" except for the fiber fill I had to buy. I made 6 dolls from 2 bags of fill.
Next was the head, um a circle, around a bowl. with a little neck on it cut from some muslin we had. The arms cut in this too. Just like the legs, but a tad (equals 1") shorter.
Now after I made four I made a few modifications cause I didn't like how small the dress was to the legs, that and I made a neck. Turning this the way in the tutorial was hard, with the legs and all. So I made the last two I made, I stitched one side and turned it above one arm up to the head.

My favorite was the felt hair, the only place left for creativity. That and I started to add embellishments. Leftover dress lining for skirts, ribbon, rick rack, and tinny button eyes.
My daughter loves this type of doll, it is almost as big as her, she is light, flexible, and pretty. Note: if adding a poofy skirt over it, make the triangle at the bottom not so obtuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment