Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Tick Tock Crocodile - Peter Pan Costumes

This year, our son wanted to be Tick Tock the crocodile from Peter Pan. I spent a good deal of time researching other alligator or crocodile costumes and came to the conclusion that they all look like a dinosaur or some lizard man from an old space movie. My first piece to tackle was how to make the tail. I discovered this Etsy Crocodile costume which I liked alot.


First, I bought 2 shades of camo green fleece, along with a tan and a smidgen of white. I made these overalls (page 13)(or try this romper adaptation) in the lighter green. I made the tail and hand stitched it to the backside with extra spines in the darker green up the back.

The hood I debated about forever. To do it or not to do it. Over the top style or go simple. I decided to go with a combination of both. I found this simple hood pattern and I elaborated on it by adding the upper and lower lip and some spines to the back. The hood is lined in tan fabric and all around the mouth is a trim of white fleece and white stiff felt. The stiff felt helps hold the shape nicely. I cut shallow in some spots and others formed teeth.

The eyes are circles of white fleece I gathered, stuffed and sewed buttons to. I covered them with a scrap of green and stuffed it. I even hand stitched a grove down the top to make the eyes appear more separated.


To top it off, I wanted green leggings and a long sleeve shirt to wear underneath, which I could not find. However, I did find a camo pajama set for ten dollars, woo hoo. The best part is, once you take off the costume, he's already dressed for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment